These words cronicle my time near Doha, Qatar for 5 months in 2005

Saturday, July 23, 2005

Harry Potter goes to war

My very own copy of Harry Potter #6 arrived yesterday via Amazon.com’s ability to ship to an APO address. The book came out on the 16th ish as any Potter fan or Potter fan’s mother living in the economized world would have known. I didn’t pay particular attention having known my mother pre-ordered the book to be sent to me ages ago. Honestly, I expected it around June 16. Amazon.com even had specialized boxes with “Harry Potter” on the outside. I didn’t think I’d have the luxury to attend a magical muggle swarming at a Barnes and Nobel for its debut so I really didn’t pay attention to when it did debut… but even over here, you couldn’t miss the fanfare in the news. I felt bad for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Bad timing.

Turns out the Army Air Force Exchange Service, in their infinite wisdom, had books pre-positioned around the war at their various tents serving Airmen and Soldiers fighting the war on terrorism so that after dropping bombs on insurgents by day, they could go home at night and snuggle up to Harry’s 6th year at Hogwarts. Is he ever going to get it on with Hermoine? 

I’m not one who can set one book down in which I’m already wrapped up – I had just started James Patterson’s Beach House. He is my trash novelist. His characters and plots are generally not deep, but something happens at the end where I can say, that was a damn good book… and I can whip through his books fast. Unlike John Grisham who I stopped reading… his books are so good throughout and then at the end, you’re like, “that’s it?” WTF?

Thankfully today was a very slow day and my boss wasn’t around, so I finished the last 150 pages of Beach House at work… For those of you in America thinking, oh my, he can read at work? It was a Saturday! America was at its beach parties and BBQs. I’m sweating my balls off in a desert far far away on a slow 12 hour day at work, so yes, I can take a break to read 150 pages of trash novel.

Anyway… I am excited to start Potter 6 tonight!

Roommate inbound… grrr.

d

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home