These words cronicle my time near Doha, Qatar for 5 months in 2005

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Life lessons through jewelry

One of the things I purchased for myself here was a silver puzzle ring. Below is a website from a commercial place that sells them.  I paid $9 for mine… theirs sells for $47. I think that’s a pretty good deal.  Well, I busted mine last Sunday and was very glad I had only paid $9 for it.  I had fiddled with it all week to see if I could put it together again… 8 rings – 6 of which are parallel and 2 of which intersecting.  How exactly do you make 2 intersecting rings parallel to the other 6? That’s the puzzle.  I had been able to fit the 6 rings together after some deliberate thought, but I couldn’t make those last 2 fit in… to top it off, those last 2 are the top most crosses, but the inner most rings on the bottom, yet have to be put in last.  After a few tries of forcing it, throwing it back across the room (like I did with ‘Once and Future King’ in the 11th grade), and trying a few methodical tries I finally got it back together. When it came back together, I had the 6 other rings fanned out and there was a point at which I saw the other 2 were going to make it… I tweaked them just a bit and shazaam, it was back together.

I learned a few things though this trial and error

-       Just because its cheap and broke, doesn’t mean you should throw it away if it could be salvaged and you like it

-       Some things take a little thought and effort to make right again.
-       Things that are supposed to fit together but don’t at the moment can’t be forced too… they will come together only when everything is in its place.

-       Patience and persistence can work to get you something that you want.

Life lessons through jewelry

http://www.puzzlering.com/Buy%20Puzzle%20Ring%20Top/Silver%20Puzzle%20Rings%20B/8BSS2.htm

d

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home