These words cronicle my time near Doha, Qatar for 5 months in 2005

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Hurricanes and Celebrities

My gulf coast friends have been keeping me in the loop on Hurricane Katrina. I have cable in my room here now and have been watching the news non stop, like if I was there... Today I saw these 2 airmen checking out gear to go forward to Iraq and they were watching the news... they both said... “well, I guess my house is gone.” I asked where they were from.  They said New Orleans.  Guys going to war having to worry about that crap back home... that's terrible.  I hope there is somebody there looking out for their interests.  I can’t imagine being single in a situation like that.

 

Drew Carey was here a couple nights ago.  I got a picture of him, but left my glow belt on so it looks like my waist is a supernova, which in one sense is good because the glow hides my fat gut.  Drew Carey was so vulgar, it was terrible.  He came with 4 other people who were even worse.  The church house put on some passion play for the “alternative activity”, so I'm glad they were not around to hear all the pu$$y jokes.  I left in the middle of the last act.  The guy was so vulgar and I could still hear his profanity echoing through the camp over the announcement system from near my trailer house.  I’ve heard nothing but the word vulgar to describe the evening here and I wonder if it was because the kindler, gentler Air Force has pet us into over sensitization – or if these comedians are just so off wack that they think it was okay to speak like that.  In a club at home, it’s okay… but when that’s the only thing in town to “do” and where you’re outside having their blasphemy resound across a military base in a muslim country.  I mean – they don’t even want us wearing pig skin boots (which begs the question why I can eat bacon for breakfast).

 

I just turned in my chemical gear crap that they make you cart all the way the hell over here just to turn in at the end of your assignment, but at least I don't have to cart it back.

 

Am in final stages of planning my post-deployment trips.  I’m very excited about this!  Bahamas… Key West!

 

Cheers

d

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home