These words cronicle my time near Doha, Qatar for 5 months in 2005

Monday, August 01, 2005

Potter 6

I've not written a book report in ages and I've never been in a book club, but here's my review of what I'd say to Harry Potter and the half-blood prince (#6) which I just finished yesterday.
Either I read all the other ones so back-to-back that I remembered everything easily, or she changed her writing style... Half the characters from previous books that were introduced mid-story, I don't remember who they are or how they fit in and she didn't re-introduce them well... Who the hell was Tonks? Took me forever to remember Lupin was the wearwolf... and she also threw out magical bits and bots here and there that you're "expected" to remember what the hell it did or does from 3 books ago w/o any explanation... What was a Pensive? What was a Bezoar? What did the Crucio curse do?
This was my least favorite of the Potters because of that... Ok story line though... very different than the others - gives back story that should have been given in the chamber of secrets book #3... course then that one you'd have needed a wheel barrel to cart around.
The ending was a bit rushed... I think she realized - oh, I need to kill off somebody, let me throw that in using only 20 pages when I should have started that story line 300 pages ago... but oops, don't want another million page book. Highly disappointing ending... I almost felt like it was a John Grisham novel.
Parts were far too predictable... Although I didn't see the end coming, I knew "whodunit" six books ago... and who the half-blood prince was? Duh... I didn't need Hermoine's research to help me with that...
Up until this point, I never felt the books were strictly for children... but all the middle school "snogging," was a bit too juvenile for the adult readership... If Ron and Hermoine are going to get it on (which they don't)... then plant them butt-naked in the Room of Requirement (I need a room to screw my girlfriend said 3x walking past where the door should be) doin' the deed while Kreacher films it (okay, maybe that's a bit too adult).
So now I've moved on to Wicked - the story of the wicked witch of the west.
Today, my boss announced she would be going back to the other side of the base to work out during the middle of the day. What a great idea! So I went too. It was perfect work-outing time... maybe I can incorporate this into my weekly routine to go back mid-day to do this a few times a week. There is a gym on this side, but like 2 showers that are real gross - not interested! And by the time I get off work I'm so flappin tired that there's no way in hell I'm going to work out... I like this new thing! I worked off at least one of my two lunchtime corn dogs on the elliptical machine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home